Friday, August 1, 2008

Jellyfish, Asian Food, and Babies

This evening Rob was surfing with his brother, Marc, and I was playing in the sand/surf with the kids enjoying high tide.  When Rob came to the shore, Dema and Parker immediately wanted to go out with him into the deeper water (during high tide, I don't let them go out in the water without him).  I was dipping Josie to get the sand off, when I heard a terrible scream from Dema.  He had a long sleeve rash shirt on and he was pulling it up and grabbing at his stomach/chest area and crying in pain.  Dema is not one to cry out in pain over nothing and I've never seen him act like this.  Rob quickly brought the boys out of the water and we guessed he was stung by a jellyfish, but we probably shouldn't have said anything because that stressed Dema out even more.  I could see that his chest down to his navel was red in almost an oval pattern.  He kept grabbing the area and we couldn't get his shirt off quick enough for him.  Stephanie and I just happened to see a bottle in the cleaning closet which was labeled "for jellyfish stings" earlier this week so Rob told me to go get it.  Rob poured the liquid (smelled like vinegar) on his chest and he screamed another ear piercing scream and said it stung.  We then hosed him off and he immediately calmed down and said he was okay.  It was the strangest thing.  We will probably never know for sure what happened.  Dema was saying later something about being brave and I said he is one of the bravest people I have ever met and he said "no, because I wasn't brave about the jellyfish sting".  I told him that even the bravest people cry out in pain once in a while.  Poor little guy!

We went out for dinner tonight in neighboring Surf City, NC.  I wasn't expecting much since restaurants in tourist towns are hit or miss on the vegan fare, especially when one is at the beach.  We were pleasantly surprised by Nikki's Fresh Gourmet (124 N. New River Dr. Surf City, NC 910-328-1121).  The vegetarian sushi was good, the entrees were good, the portions were big, and they even serve brown rice for a little extra (big plus in my book!).  Thumbs up from us vegans and from Marc's family and Rob's dad too.  I would definitely go back.  I wish I had pictures, but my camera is not looking good...I'm still crossing my fingers that I'll be able to save the pictures from this week.

Marc and Stephanie found out today they have a new nephew!  Congratulations!

2 comments:

Stef said...

Wow! Dema is very brave, jellyfish stings hurt! It sounds just like what happened too. Vinegar should always be floating around an Atlantic coast beach, those little buggers are everywhere. If there is no vinegar a great thing to do is to pour some urine on the sting. It can help neutralize the sting pretty quickly. Poor Dema has had such a rough go of it this summer, he needs a vacation!

Bianca said...

Ouch! Glad to know he's okay now. I've never been stung, but I'm sure I'd cry too.