Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Lasagna and Little Ones

I haven't been cooking or blogging much as of late due to "she who will not be named" (hint: she likes to crawl around putting everything in her mouth, going up and down stairs, trying to stick her little fingers into old house outlets, all the while looking up at me with her cute little smile which melts my heart). On top of that, it is H-O-T and I will say it again...we have no A/C. I do have a picture of leftovers from this Sunday's lunch. My uncle, grandfather, sister and her S/O, and my dad came over for lunch so I made a bunch of easy, quick, but yummy food. Here is sundried tomato focaccia bread, whole-wheat fussili pasta with Esme Sauce peas and garlic bread topping, lasagna (more on that in a minute), and Qunioa Puttanesca. We also had mixed greens salad with walnuts and raisins, fruit salad, and garlic bread which are not in the picture. A little about the lasagna, we made Vegan Dad's Creamy Mac and Cheeze for the first time on the 4th of July and I thought immediately it would be good in lasagna. I haven't made lasagna for ages and I didn't have a lot of time to cook so I whipped up some VD's Cheeze sauce, used jarred sauce (I hate doing that, but it was Muir Glen Garden Vegetable which happened to be on sale at my local HF store, but still), threw together a tofu ricotta loosely based on a recipe in Nonna's Italian Kitchen (one of my favorite cookbooks), and sauted some BabyBella mushrooms and topped it with garlic bread topping. I was pretty pleased with the results (even with the jarred sauce) and will have to make it again when the temps finally fall back to reasonable levels. The lasagna was gone by the end of the day and rest of he Esme Sauce (I made a bunch since it goes quickly around here) with pasta and peas was devoured by the boys the next day.
Maybe we should have named her Ginger instead of Josie. I swear that girl loves all food! She ate quite a bit of the raw ginger before moving on to strawberries this morning.

2 comments:

fredbunch said...

Hey - it sounds like Josie and my baby Birdie have a lot in common. I'm sure they'll hit it off at the beach in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to seeing you all and tasting some of your dishes!

Lisa -- Cravin' Veggies said...

Awwww... she is such a cutie!!

Ginger, huh? Good for her!! I was in my twenties, I think, before I even saw/tasted fresh ginger!!