Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Random Rambling for the Women

None of my bras fit. I hate that. I have lots of friends who prefer to go sans bra, but that is not my style and never has been. Call me uptight, call me a conformer, call me unnatural, call me what you will, but I like bras. I do not, however, like any of the bras I currently own. Pregnancy and nursing for over nine years straight can do a number on the mammalian body. All my bras are either too big, too small, or just not comfortable at any given moment during the day. I need to go shopping, but given the choice between a pelvic exam and bra shopping, I would have to think for a few minutes. It is just that fun.

While I have lost all my male readers, I will take a chance on people now coming to my blog while doing something entirely different on the computer than cooking vegan food and discuss one of my biggest pet peeves. I hate the word "boob"...stop me if I've told you before because I've blogged about this in my mind several times, but I really don't think I've ever put pen to paper about it. If I have, skip to the next post.

I guess we can add prude to the list of things to call me because I cringe, I mean I CRINGE each time someone calls their breasts (because it seems to be the women out there, maybe the guys I talk to are way too PC ) "boobs". I don't get it. Boob, to me, has a negative connotation which was created by men (just a feeling, I have no idea where the word started or why people started calling breasts by that name) and I don't know why women...not just any women, but many, many women whom I know and respect...continue the use of the word. Maybe it is Vagina Monologues type thing where they are "claiming" back the word. I don't care, it bugs me.

As a mother of boys, the term "boobs" bothered me because I will not tolerate my boys picking that term up. They can say "oh shit" (that is a story for another post), they can say a lot of things I won't go into here, but I will not have them call women's breasts, "boobs". Breast and nipple are words that get used more often than you would think by my boys, but I don't think they would even know what someone meant if they said "boobs". Now that I am the mother of a female, she will choose for herself since it is her body, but I am hoping "boobs" will not be part of her vocabulary.

Glad to get all this off my chest.

In case you haven't guessed, I don't like "hooters" any better.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree completely. It's such a weird term and has nothing to do with women at all. It always sounds like baby talk to me.

Stef said...

So you probably don't like knockers either? I think I agree, they make some men & women uncomfortable, so these little terms make them feel a bit more non-threatened by our sexuality maybe? I hate bras as well, but for the completely opposite reason, I bet you would like cami's with a little shelf support, or nursing cami's? Those seem really comfortable, nice to layer, and not a bra.

Miss Jenny said...

Oh, Honey. I don't know how you can even stand to hang out with us. No bras here and the b-word being flung around all the time!

VeganLinda said...

Katherine, Yes it does sound like baby talk!

Stef, I'm fine with knockers. (Just kidding!) I do have some nursing cami's which I agree are way better than bras, but they have all seen better days (years old and lots of use). It is just time to do some shopping.

Miss Jenny, I can barely stand to be with ya sista! :-) Let me be clear that I do not mind at all if OTHER women don't wear bras...more power to them. I just don't feel comfy doing it. I guess I like a little support and while nursing it is great to have something hiding the one not being used from the babe. As far as the boobs, you are so cool, I look past it. :-) Seriously, I would probably have no women friends if I made a rule they couldn't say "boob".

the sandwich life said...

I'm with you Linda....

Red said...

Due to the fact that I used to be a 34 I...yep you read right, I never went braless. Now, you may think I am a hefty girl...oh no no.

I am 5'2" and about 135 poinds. So your average Joe (insert female equivalent).

In the summer of 2005 I had a reduction. Best thing I ever did in my life. I hated my breasts, but not anymore. I am still a large bosomed woman, but not like before. Even the plastic surgeon was astonished at my size. He had never come across such a small framed woman with such large breasts.

And I still wear a bra everywhere I go. Old habits die hard.