Saturday, June 14, 2008

Book Review

Lazy Summer Saturday Morning Book Review:

Dragon Rider by Cornelia FunkeParker received this book for his 8th birthday from Sammy and Izzy (well, from Ricky and Catharine). Rob started reading this book aloud at night to the kids soon after we received it and the whole family was hooked. It is really our first fantasy book since the kids so far had preferred non-fiction or books which "could" have happened. A lot of fantasy books are too scary for Parker, but he really loved this one. It was suspenseful, but not too much so and very little real violence for a fantasy book. Everyone in the family gives it a thumbs up.

The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke
We liked Dragon Rider so much, Parker decided we should look for other books by the same author at our local library. We decided on The Thief Lord. It is very different from Dragon Rider, but it didn't disappoint. I read this one aloud and Parker and I would continue to read it long after Rob and Dema had fallen asleep. I like how both books have strong female characters and boys and girls working together. The kids were very interested in Venice after reading this book so if anyone has suggestions on books about Venice or just set in Venice which kids would enjoy, let me know. I'm so out of it, I didn't realize there was a Thief Lord movie. I don't know if I want to check it out or not. I almost always prefer the book.

The Secret History of Tom Trueheart by Ian Beck
We went back to the library looking for another Cornelia Funke book, but the titles available seemed a little too "dark" for my kids. Thomas Trueheart was displayed in several places so we picked it up. (Yes, marketing at work.) It was enjoyable, but more Dema's level and type of story than Parker's, but it was nice light reading. I thought the premise of the book was cute, but it was a little lost on the kids because it assumes a knowledge of the "traditional" fairy tales which they don't really know. I would read another Ian Beck book to Dema, but Parker's not super interested in reading more about Tom Trueheart.

Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo
This is an old favorite which we've read aloud and listened to on tape during car trips. Parker adores this story about a little girl, her stray dog, and the community she builds in a new town. It is a truly charming and sweet story. Although we don't live in the South, the kids can relate to the setting. I like the way animals are portrayed and love how the little girl brings so many people together. This book is perfect summer reading. Again, I haven't seen the movie.

1 comment:

Misc said...

I enjoyed Thief Lord, but haven't read it with the kiddos. Evan's big into reading animal encyclopedias and Flynn's all about the Fancy Nancy books. Some great all ages comics we've come to adore are Bone by Jeff Smith and Owly by Andy Runton. Excellent storytelling in both - just lovely books.