Sunday, June 1, 2008

Benedict Brunch and Bushes

We now have a "naked house" (for different reasons than we have in the past). We completely denuded our house by cutting out all the ugly bushes, but with nothing whatsoever in mind to replace them. Nothin', nada, and here our poor house sits with nothing to cover its lower half. I just couldn't take them anymore and although we have a million and one started or planned projects (remember that kitchen), I asked Rob to get rid of the eyesore which was our old bushes. He went at them with it the sawsall and now they are no more. Here is a picture of the carnage.So, my dad has a little hauler truck and we haven't had a family brunch for a few weeks now so it was time to call one and have my dad bring the pickup and haul some of the branches away. I called my sister (last minute because I just do no planning anymore) this morning and she came over too. I wanted to make a bunch of things, but ended up just doing two, but everyone was happily fed and I have Rob looking forward to the next brunch because he really wanted me to make the Tofu Florentine from Veganomicon.
Greek Tofu Benedict from Veganomicon (broiled tofu, dill-tahini sauce, roasted red peppers, kalamata olives, and dried oregano for garnish over a whole-wheat English muffin) and Blueberry Coffee Cake fro Vegan with a Vengeance with fresh blueberries on top (I never get tired or making or eating this one). We also had some thawed organic peaches from the freezer and musk melon from our neighbor Vicky (Dema gave her those eyes yesterday after they swam in her pool and he scored some melon).After brunch, everyone went outside to cut up the bushes and load them in my dad's truck (much more than one load worth of bushes) to be taken to the landscape recycling center. Parke and one of the neighbor boys enjoyed sawing off the branches and Dema was ticked he didn't get to use the saw (maybe next time), but he was not in a responsible mood and we didn't want to take a trip to the ER. We spent much of the day outside and then I realized it was time for dinner and I needed to feed everyone before walking over to Stef's house to say goodbye (more about this in another post). I doubled the recipe for the Greek Tofu Benedict recipe so we had a little leftovers (Rob ate two before I even took a picture so I think if we hadn't run out of English muffins it would have all been gone except for the dill-tahini sauce which I would not double next time since it makes plenty) and I did the '70's mom thing and made a casserole. I just cooked up some whole-wheat Cavatappi pasta, cut up the broiled tofu and roasted red peppers into smaller pieces, cut up the rest of the kalamata olives, added some baby spinach, put it all in a casserole dish with the dill-tahini sauce mixed in and topped it with Garlic Bread Topping and baked it for a while...Greek Benedict Casserole! It was a little heavy on the dill for the kids (I asked my husband for some reason instead of going with my gut when I was putting the dill in the sauce and he said something like, "you can never have too much dill"), but it was good and quick. I think my husband would eat anything I serve with Garlic Bread Topping (there is just something about walnuts, pumpkin seeds, garlic, bread, nutritional yeast, red pepper flakes, and olive oil which makes anything taste good). We had the rest of the fresh blueberries on the side. Oh and I used the leftover peaches, added frozen organic raspberries, soy milk, orange juice, fresh baby spinach, and a banana to make smoothies...kids loved it and finished off the Blueberry Coffee Cake too. Nothing but lots of dirty dishes left...did I mention we still don't have a dishwasher?

No comments: