I need help, big surprise, I know. We have decided to take the plunge and remodel our kitchen. It is a daunting task, but also something which makes me giddy. I can't wait to use the room more efficiently and have everything set up just as I like it and hopefully be more environmentally-friendly in the process...we'll never eat out again!
This is where you come in and I'm so desperate for you input, that I'm offering gifts, yes my first giveaway! First, I need comments, lots and lots of comments. Tell me what your favorite appliances are and why or what appliances to stay away from and why. Tell me what you love about your own kitchen or what you wish you could change. Tell me anything and everything you can think of regarding kitchens. I will pick three people at random and send them a 27oz. Klean Kanteen and an organic cotton tea infuser bag. There will be more giveaways as the kitchen project gets underway so check back often.
Here are some of the issues regarding our current kitchen:
1. Our house is 100 years old so I want to stay true to the house as much as possible.
2. We have four, count 'em four doors coming into our kitchen so wall space is a premium, but we have 10 foot ceilings, but I am pretty short (not even close to 10 feet tall).
3. Our dishwasher is not working so we will need to buy a new one which is what made the decision for us to go ahead and remodel. Our fridge is working fine right now and is energy efficient and small, but we will be going with a new stove/oven. We are open to having the range and the oven separate. Pros and cons?
4. We have an old sink which I would like to keep, but Rob thinks it needs to go and he is probably right. If there was a way to make the sink work better, we would be open to keeping it.
5. We have our washer and dryer located in the kitchen (stacked on top of each other), but this is not a good long term solution for laundry.
6. We compost all our kitchen waste so if people have good ideas about kitchen composting (we just have a couple buckets right now), let me know.
7. We buy things like dried beans, spices, brown rice, etc. in bulk and would like good ways to store them so they are accessible and stay fresh and pest-free.
8. We have no air conditioning so it would be nice to have a way a keep the kitchen cool in the summer months. Keeping it warm in the winter is not so much an issue.
9. We like to cook a lot and quite often the whole family is in the kitchen so it would be nice to be able to all cook together.
If I ever get the kitchen somewhat clean, I will post pictures so you can see what we have to deal with.