Monday, March 3, 2008

SO'G Salad, Creamy-Spicy Seitan with Coconut Quinoa, Manic Monday

It was one of those days where you can tell it has high potential for a "bad mommy day". I couldn't sleep last night (no fault of the kids) so I started out the day in the negative. Dema was pushing my buttons like crazy and I really wanted to be patient, but I was also was trying to get bills paid (not something that puts me in a good mood anyway...note to self: stop putting off paying bills until Mondays!) and also get everyone out the door to the library. It wasn't anything out of the ordinary, just tougher due to lack of sleep and attitudes. We finally get in the car (which also put me in a bad mood since I had planned on taking the bus, but I gave up) and I am trying to do the silent pep talk to myself about changing the day around and I turn on the radio. I usually listen to NPR and local talk radio in the car, but as luck would have it the radio was tuned to WEFT. The Monday Morning Jazz Jam was in full swing and it was just like an antidote to my train wreck of a day. It seriously turned my morning completely around. You can check out our lovely community radio station via the web or via 90.1 FM radio if you are local. If you like what you hear (who knows maybe it will turn your day around), think about giving (sorry folks, we just had our pledge drive so I couldn't help but add this).

We had a refreshing lunch of Seitan O' Greatness Salad, quickly thrown together by Rob this weekend (intended for his lunches, but we snagged some), stuffed inside a whole wheat pita. A pear and almonds and raisins on the side. SO'G Salad: a little over half a SO'G log chopped into bite sized chunks, one celery stalk chopped, heaping tablespoon of Vegenaise, handful of fresh spinach torn into smaller pieces, 1 tsp Dijon mustard, fresh ground pepper, 1/2 tsp dried dill, celery salt to taste all mixed together. It hit the spot!

Dinner was Vegan Dad's Creamy-Spicy Seitan with Coconut Quinoa (now if the name alone doesn't get you cooking, let me tell there were no leftovers...make it soon!). Vegan Dad has a much better picture. I think it was perfect with quinoa, but you could also serve it over brown rice or your grain of choice. We had a mixed greens salad with walnuts and Drew's Kalamata Olive and Caper Dressing (I didn't do the raisins on the salad since there were raisins in the dish). I usually am not a big salad person until the local farmer's market starts, but I am hoping eating salads will get Spring here quicker.

No comments: