Sunday, March 23, 2008

Brownie Buzz

Just a quick post to say I can't sleep because I licked the spoon. I knew I shouldn't ingest any chocolate at midnight because caffeine affects me in strange ways, but I just had to lick the spoon and now here I am...wide awake when we're having company over for lunch tomorrow and I should be cleaning if I'm not sleeping, but Josie is nursing so here you go. Note to self: don't bake brownies late at night and for goodness sake girl don't taste it!

Here is what I hurriedly made this evening in between a bundt cake and black bean soup (for tomorrow). Lachesis' Amazing Alfredo Sauce from Don't Get Mad Get Vegan. It was yummy and easy, but I'm not a huge fan of onion and garlic powder so I think I'll try this next time with real onion and garlic. I haven't eaten "real" alfredo in maybe fifteen or so years so what do I know, but this is really yummy. I added broccoli to whole wheat linguine and sprinkled Garlic Bread Topping on top (where else would one put topping). I suggest lots of fresh ground pepper too. The boys liked the sauce to my surprise (crazy vegan-since- birth kids don't have the taste for white sauces like we do). Of course, Dema picked out the broccoli right away and ate it leaving most of his pasta. Rob liked it too, but it is pretty rich so I doubt we'll have it often.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

LOL... I just checked your blog a bit ago and no new posts. Then I sat wide awake at my computer posting on my blog. Checked yours again and WOW a new post. We both must have "I can't sleep syndrome"! I am high from the Easter Vigil and probably the cake that went along with it! :)

Here is to sweet dreams soon for you!

VeganLinda said...

How funny! I hope you had a great Easter Vigil and Leigh was able to enjoy it too.

Meat-free Mike said...

Hi Linda- what sort of pasta did you use - linguine (?) and what brands do you prefer? I haven't tried any of the organic, spelt, or whole wheat pastas yet so I'm curious what others are using. Non-egg pasta I presume?

Meat-free Mike said...

Sorry- just noticed you said whole wheat linguine - still open to other pasta suggestions...

VeganLinda said...

Mike,

My favorite brand of whole wheat pasta is Bionaturae, but there are several on the market which aren't too bad now. Years ago when I was converted my husband to whole wheat pastas most of them were grainy. I look for pasta with only one ingredient (organic whole wheat).

http://www.bionaturae.com/

I've tried several of the spelt and rice or non-wheat varieties, but I like the whole wheat the best.