Thursday, February 7, 2008

5 Months Old and Everyone Poops

Josie is five months old today! She is doing this inch worm type thing which is the precursor to crawling and oh so cute, but I'd love for her to slow down a bit. Once the real crawling starts, the fun begins and I'm not quite ready for that fun yet. She has taken up teething full time. She has little time for anything else, but still happily gives us kisses (which turns into chewing, but she doe it with love). She also does this cute, but possibly obsessive sucking thing with her lips. I can't do it justice by trying to explain so I will try to get a video of it soon. She laughs so much more now and she is wonderful about ECing, but I am getting lazy so we go through more diapers than I should. She is so intent on listening to people talk and will get upset if we are quiet for too long...she fits right in to a family with two growing boys. She hasn't come down with the Chickenpox...the power of breastmilk?! Or just luck? She is getting a tad harder to take to movies and meetings because she is pretty vocal and if she is awake will probably "chatter" happily. She loves the bath and shower so obviously related to Parker and Dema. At 17lbs she is getting a little too big for Parker to carry her around for long. I'll have to work with him using the baby carriers. He is getting over his hostility when people outside the family hold her. He is so protective. Keep it up Parker, we'll need that when she is a teenager.

So today, I am minding my own business and Dema comes up to me and in his sweet and sour (we have decided that describes his personality...so cute and sweet and naughty at the same time) voice says...
"Mom, did I eat poop?"
Coming from any other child, I would have thought it was an interesting question, but coming from Dema he immediately had my attention because, well, because there was that little, tiny, fleeting thought that yes, maybe my second born would try to eat poop.
Me: "Why do you ask?" I said very slowly looking into his big blue eyes, trying not to jump to conclusions.
Dema: "Because I eat and then I poop...so how does the poop get into my body if I didn't eat it?" Ah, well, he has a point. It isn't poop when he eats it, but what he eats does turn into poop. I explained the digestive process for a three year old and he walked away much relieved.

Later, Parker turns to me and says: "Mom, if bats hang upside down and guano (bat poop to those of us who didn't know what guano was) comes out...does it get all over the bat? I mean, how does a bat poop when it is upside down?"
Me: "I never really thought of it. I'll try to find out for you." (I looked online, but don't know for sure so I'll have to check with a book at the library.)

One of the many things I love about home schooling is being available all day for questions like these.

4 comments:

B said...

Bats invert themselves to poop and pee. They can hang from the claw or claws on each wing, so that the poop falls to the ground. It can also turn its body, while hanging from a branch. And of course they can poop in flight.

VeganLinda said...

We figured something like this, but I wanted to be sure. Thanks!

MeloMeals said...

I just found your blog... and read Parker's birth story... thank you for sharing it...

.. it's amazing that you were such a teaching tool for so many in the hospital... and Parker seems very much to be a miracle.. it must have been so hard to deal with the NICU and all of that....

VeganLinda said...

Melody, welcome! Thanks for your comments.