Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Home School Lunch

One of the things I love about home schooling is sitting down with my kids to eat lunch. I know this probably sounds silly, but it is one of my favorite times of the day. I especially like it when I can use leftovers so it doesn't take a lot of prep time, but tastes great. The other day Parker sat down to eat and said, "I love home school lunch!"

I've been trying to be better about using everything. When Dema has a snack of steamed broccoli and only eats the florets, I take the stalks and make it into broccoli soup. When we have little brown rice left, but not enough for a meal, I put in into a stew instead of the compost bucket. Some stale whole wheat bread? Process it in the food processor and put it in a baggy in the freezer for bread crumbs. I know this is a no brainer, but in the past I feel like we've composted more than we should and it is fun to try to find ways to use everything. We are also trying to grocery shop once a week (we do buy more fresh organic produce mid-week, but that is usually it). That way, things get used up instead of sitting in the cupboard forever. Rob is the one doing the grocery shopping lately which is really great and he only buys what is on a list so less impulse buying. This also frees my time to do more meal planning and I enjoy cooking more when I don't also have to do the shopping with all three kids.

Broccoli Potato Soup (loosely based on the one in Healthy Eating for Life for Children, except with less non-dairy milk), Black Bean and Orange Hummus (based on the recipe in Eat, Drink, and Be Vegan), black bean surprise (I had to use up black beans and found a bag of frozen peppers which I added, with leftover brown rice, tomatoes, onions, garlic, chili powder, and cumin), carrots sticks, cashews and raisins
I have some friends who are wheat-free and although wheat doesn't bother us, I did think about the fact that I do eat some wheat every day. Then I went through this entire day and realized...no wheat. It wasn't on purpose, but I thought it was interesting. We don't actually eat as much wheat as I thought, but we still could branch out to other grains more often. Over the last couple months of blogging, I've noticed we eat a lot of tomatoes or more to the point, I blog about a lot of foods with tomatoes in them. Not an issue, just thought I should grow more tomatoes this year or buy stock in organic tomatoes. So without further ado...something else with tomatoes.

Chickpea Mash Stew from The Everyday Vegan by Dreena Burton (we have another cookbook by the same name by another author so I need to be specific). I didn't didn't have zucchini and I added more chickpeas after I immersion blended it. Then because Dema will eat soup with a spoon more (instead of just dipping bread in it) when it has pasta, I added whole wheat Chiocciole. It was really good and I'll happily make it again.

No comments: