Saturday, January 5, 2008

Eleventh Day of Christmas

On the eleventh day of Christmas my true love gave to me...
Eleven bees a-buzzing (check out the Vanishing of the Bees)
Ten organic non-GMO seeds (we have to get back to gardening this year)
Nine vegan converts (or just nine people who eat lower on the food chain)
Eight Kucinich years (as president, why stop at one term)
Seven soups a-warming (living in a 100 year old house means many winters of hot soup)
Six geese a-laying ("adopted" at the animal sanctuary, of course)
Five containers of organic orange juice
Four Kucinich years (as president)
Three alternative heating options (multi-fuel stove, pellet insert, solar)
Two cast iron pans (one a skillet, one a muffin pan) and
A Bakfiet to easily carry Parker, Dema, and Josie

Our friend Todd (many of you of heard of him and that is always his name "our friend Todd") and Jamie (also a friend) came down from Chicago for a quick visit today. I made Black Beans in Chipotle Adobo Sauce and Chickpea Cutlets from Veganomicon. We still had some chipotles in adobo sauce left over from the risotto the other day and this was a good way to use it up. I thought the beans turned out well, although they would be very bland without the chipotle topping. I was a little disappointed by the cutlets, but I will try them again. It was my first time making them and I'm not great at frying (that is more Rob's thing). My turned out a little stringy...anyone have this happen to them? I also served them with sandwich fixings and I think they would be better with gravy and potatoes. We also had Parker's Favorite Turnip and Kale Soup.

I didn't take a picture of the food because, well, I just didn't. But, here is a picture (don't get mad at me, Todd) which illustrates why the kids like him so much. Back when Parker was four years old and Dema was a baby, Todd helped Rob and my sister take Parker to see Thomas the Tank Engine in person in northern Illinois. Todd is always happy to build some track with the kids and bike or play chess with Rob. Who could ask for more in a friend?

The kids go nuts for Todd and it was so nice to see him. We missed seeing his wife, Catherine, but she was busy with the store. Happy Birthday to both of you!

1 comment:

Todd McHenry said...

thanks Linda! And - the food was great!...on the way back to Chicago I decided that I need to attempt to cook more often. So keep those recipes coming!! - Todd