Thursday, January 31, 2008

Apple Crisp and Pasta Puttanesca with Garlic Bread Topping

Rob was in balmy California all week so I made a lot of easy things and didn't take pictures, but here is the Apple Crisp (based on the recipe in Healthy Eating for Life for Children) we made twice this week (Rob bought a bunch of apples before he left and we ate them au naturale which is our preferred way to eat them, but with the snow and cold I couldn't help but bake them as well). Parker and Dema made the first one by themselves with me just reading the recipe for them. Parker decided to add vanilla soy yogurt and frozen raspberries on top. All apple crisp should be served with raspberries. Yum!

Apple Crisp (apples, lemon juice, date sugar, cinnamon, rolled oats, walnuts, maple syrup, vanilla, and salt)

I made our usual Pasta Puttanesca (tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, kalamata olives, capers, miso) which I often top with pumpkin seeds, nutritional yeast, and or walnuts, but inspired by my friend Jenny and something she made for her family this week, I added all of these things with bread crumbs. I had some bread crumbs left over (I have used more bread crumbs in my cooking in the last three months than I have my entire life) so I put some olive oil in a pan, added the bread crumbs, chopped walnuts and pumpkin seeds, nutritional yeast, minced garlic, and red pepper flakes. The kids said it was like eating garlic bread crumbed on top of the pasta. It was a hit.

Garlic Bread Topping:
1 tablespoon olive oil (you may want more)
2 cloves minced garlic
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup chopped pumpkin seeds
red pepper flakes to taste

Heat olive oil in skillet on low/medium low heat, add the garlic and saute for couple minutes then add the remaining ingredients and mix together and serve over pasta (or if you are like Rob just eat it with left over sauce and don't wait for any pasta).

No comments: