Monday, December 10, 2007

Monday Movie Review

Monday Movie Review:

The Lives of Others
I saw this back when it was in the theaters with my friend Christie and found it very moving and the performances to be incredible. Unfortunately, Rob didn't get to see it then, but we rented it this weekend. We both enjoy foreign films quite a lot and this one did not disappoint. It was hard for me to watch this time knowing that the man who played Gerd Wiesler died of cancer after the film's release. He did an amazing job, in my opinion. There are so many political and human nature lessons to be learned from this movie. In the current political climate in this country, it is more timely than one might think. If you haven't seen it yet, rent it. If you have seen it, watch it again. It is worth a second look. There are subtle things I noticed the second time around which I missed during the first viewing.

The Incredible Human Body
For the kids, we are hooked on National Geographic movies. They found this one fascinating. The brain surgery was a little tough for Parker to stomach. He is very empathetic and even after to watching it a couple times, still wanted to be assured that everything turned out okay. I have to say that it was a little hard for me to watch, but it was also too interesting to miss. I just can't imagine being awake for brain surgery. Both the boys learned a lot and Rob and I found it quite interesting as well.

Animal Holiday
To go along with our National Geographic kick, but with a holiday flavor, we rented this cute, entertaining, and educational little movie. We talk about the four different types of penguins at the breakfast table and how different animals survive the cold temperatures. Ever since watching "March of the Penguins" I've decided that even though I'm "anti-zoo" (for animal rights reasons which I will get into sometime), I think penguins might actually be better off in a zoo. This short film brought up questions like why are reindeer called "rein"deer and had them wanting to read more about polar bears. Both boys enjoyed it and I found it fun too.

No comments: