Sunday, November 11, 2007

Two Bean Orange Hummus

I had the best of intentions. I have been reading through Dreena Burton's new cookbook Eat, Drink, and Be Vegan (which is the best vegan cookbook title ever!). I couldn't decide what recipe to start with and then I decided since it has a whole section devoted to hummus and I am a devoted hummus eater that I would start with the first hummus recipe listed and go through them one by delicious one.
Eat, Drink & Be Vegan: Everyday Vegan Recipes Worth Celebrating
The first recipe is Black Bean and Orange Hummus. Well, I didn't take the time to see if I had all the ingredients before I jumped in with both feet and started putting things in the food processor. I am like this, it is a sickness. I asked Rob how many cups he thought were in a can of black beans and he said "maybe two...why?" with that voice which means he doesn't quite approve of the fact that I am obviously deviating from a new recipe on the first ingredient. Well, the recipe called for more than 2 cups, but not four cups so my math genius husband told me how to decrease each ingredient to make it come out and I waved the annoying buzzing sound (Rob's voice) in my ear away and went forward with no real plan while he left the kitchen shaking his head. I was thinking, "How can you really mess up hummus?"

I went through with more ingredients. The second important ingredient you can guess from the title of the recipe is orange...fresh squeaked oranges to be exact. I didn't have any oranges (Dema begged me to buy some a the store the other day, but they didn't look good...not such a great time of year for oranges I am guessing, even in the country which has every food available all year round). I decided calcium-fortified orange juice was just going to have to do (even though I saw "orange zest" later on in the recipe...I really could not be bothered by details).

Fresh parsley was on the list and I was sure we had dried parsley, but no. You get the picture. I processed it all and I was bummed it was so liquidy. Rob was not surprised and asked if I cut down on the liquid ingredients and I had, some, but not enough obviously. I searched for another can of black beans and Rob searched the freezer for some. No luck. I did have chickpeas so I through another can in and voila. It actually tasted really good.

So, if you have Eat, Drink, and Be Vegan, please make Dreena's hummus recipe. If you don't have Eat, Drink, and Be Vegan, go out and purchase it NOW, but if you order it online so you will wait a couple days for the cookbook and want to try what I made first I've included the recipe since it no longer really resembles hers. Then you can make her recipe once you receive her book and then kick me in the shin for even suggesting this lowly version. You will realize why she writes vegan cookbooks and I just own a couple hundred vegan cookbooks and still refuse to follow even the simplest recipe in any of them.

Two Bean Orange Hummus

1 can black beans
1 can chickpeas
1/4 cup orange juice (calcium fortified)
3 Tablespoons almond butter (any nut butter should be fine)
1 clove of garlic
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sea salt (iodized)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
1 dash of orange extract

Put everything in a food processor until smooth and eat it all up with veggies, pita bread, your favorite whole grain vegan bread, a spoon...it all works.

2 comments:

the sandwich life said...

oh, I am NOTORIOUS for not following recipes...which is why I'm a lousy baker....

YKate said...

i havent tried your recipe, but i have tried the book's and i can say it is delicious!!!