Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Tape Worm or Growth Spurt?

The other morning Dema woke up requesting pancakes in such a cute little Dema way that I had to make them. Parker was still sleeping in bed, Josie was asleep tied to me in a carrier, and Rob was biking to work so it was just Dema and me. I love mornings like this where I have some time one on one. Dema helped me make the pancakes and Parker was able to wake up to a warm breakfast.

I doubled the recipe so we could have pancakes the next day, but they ate them all by noon. I don't know for sure how many I made because they love small pancakes and I didn't count, but it was a lot. I had like two and they ate the rest...not in one sitting. Parker ate some pancakes (at least six), oatmeal w/flax seeds, molasses, and frozen peaches on top, a frozen waffle with blueberries (he likes to put a blueberry in each 'hole'), and some mixed frozen berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries). This was just breakfast!

The above picture was maybe half or even a third of the pancakes (along with a syrup dispenser we bought at Art Mart after the farmer's market a few weeks ago...it was the only one we could find which is glass and it is cool because you can control the amount of syrup and not make a mess!). The original recipe was from Vegan Family Favorites again, but I modified it a bit so here it is:

Tape Worm Pancakes (okay it needs a better title)

2 1/2 cups of unbleached flour
3 Tablespoons date sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
Egg replacer for 2 eggs
2 1/2 cups soy or rice milk
2 Tablespoons Canola oil

There is nothing healthy about these pancakes so I suggest adding flax seed oil to the syrup and/or topping with fresh/frozen berries. Wisk all the dry ingredients together in one bowl and the wet ingredients together (including the egg replacer) in another bowl and then add the wet to the dry and wisk, but not too much or they won't be as fluffy. My kids love for them to be lightly brown and small and my husband doesn't think they are cooked until they are dark and likes them big so cook to please whomever you have to please (I opt to make them after Rob is at work so I can please just the kids and myself).

Parker doesn't really have a tape worm, but he is eating a ton lately, but Dema looks like he is the one putting on weight...don't know how that works. Regardless, I feel like I am constantly cooking and that they are eating around the clock...maybe this is how moms of teenagers feel.

No comments: