Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Caboose

Today our food train came to a really yummy end with pumpkin muffins this morning. Just what the kids needed since they are playing outside non-stop and need something quick to keep their energy up (I swear they would play until they starved to death if I didn't remind them to eat). I hope we have some left for Rob when he gets home from work. Aren't the little ones adorable?!

Pumpkin Muffins
2 cups sugar
2/3 cup oil
2 cups pumpkin
2/3 cup water
2 eggs worth of flax egg replacer goo
2 eggs worth of baking powder "eggs" (1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 1/2 Tablespoon oil and 1 1/2 Tablespoon water = 1 egg)
2 cups whole wheat flower
2 cups flour
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/4 teaspoon salt

grease pan with dairy-free "butter" stick


We also had some excellent roasted veggies brought over (I love all the colors and can never get enough veggies). We finished up the produce our friend brought from the farmer's market and I couldn't help taking a picture of the "watermelon bones", as my non-vegan dad would call them. They look so pretty and Dema was in heaven eating all the watermelon. The boys are playing with the homemade play dough they received today. No wonder they want to have another baby.

When I had Parker and Dema I turned down offers from people for food. I had various reasons, not wanting people to go to any trouble, not wanting to ask or receive any "help", thinking it would be too much of a pain for people to cook vegan or that they would cook something non-vegan accidentally, etc. This time, I decided it is good to take help when offered. I like being able to do something for others and I'm sure other people feel the same way. I also decided it was a good lesson for the kids. It had a fun side effect of making Josie's birth seem like a party to the boys and they also loved trying what people made and they commented more than once how nice everyone has been to us. I think it is good for them to see community at times that are "positive" as well as when things are tough. Parker asked me if I said thank you to everyone.

Thanks to everyone! We are so lucky to have you all in our lives...now I hope I can get the right pots and pans back to all of you!

Josie update: She had her first shower today. She seemed to enjoy it. I don't know why we waited so long. The boys had showers in there first week. Maybe because I have such great helpers so I didn't have to take her in the shower with me. Anyway, I like to start with showers instead of baths and get them used to it. The boys have always liked showers and I think it is because they started when they were young. She is pooping a lot more, but most of the time in the toilet since she is pretty obvious. Peeing is another story. She pees all the time and I never know when it will be.

No comments: