Friday, September 14, 2007

Adventures in Diapering and More Food

We cloth diaper (I know, big surprise since I sell them) and for each of the kids I've tried different diapers in the never ending search of the "perfect" diaper (I also consider it research for the business or so I tell my husband). People are always asking what diapers we like the best and how many they need, etc. We've found several we like and have used for all three now, but different diapers work better at different stages. As I mentioned in a previous post we also practice EC (have to some degree with each of the kids). Rob was not looking forward to diapering so he was all about ECing full time this go around, but with older siblings who want to hold the baby all the time it makes sense for our family to have diapers too. Anyway, for Josie so far I really like the small gDiaper covers with the Starter KitgDiaper insert (not cloth, but a "flushable" diaper that has Cradle to Cradle certification, but since Josie doesn't poop much we end up composting most of the them instead of flushing which is even better for the environment) or with a cloth diaper insert. I really like the Organic Cotton Sherpa Newborn Prefolds and Organic Caboose Diaper Doublers (great for newborn diapers) to put in the covers. My other favorite covers are small Organic Caboose Organic Cotton Diaper Covers and small Organic Caboose Eco-Fleece Diaper Covers. Most of the time, since again Josie is not a big pooper yet like the other kids were, I can reuse the covers all day or a couple days. When we go out I use the small Rumpsters and when I know no one else will be holding her I put her in the small or medium All Together Fitted Unbleached Cotton Diaper. I love seeing the little diapers hanging on the clothes line. So far, we've been fine with 4 Rumpsters, one of each of the covers, a bag of small gDiaper inserts, 3 organic cotton sherpa newborn prefolds, and 3 Organic Caboose diaper doublers. We've done a load of diapers after 3 days and we change her as soon as she is wet.

Since most of you probably don't care at all about diapers and hopefully just thinking about them doesn't make you loose any interest in food. We've had some really good meals brought over by friends in a local natural parenting group I've been a part of for seven years. Most of the families are not veg, but everyone is so nice to cook to our needs. We loved the roasted veggies, green beans, cannellini bean dip with bread and pita chips. I don't know why we don't roast veggies more often, but this donated dinner and the cool weather makes us want add roasted veggies into our fall dinner routine. We used to make these roasted veggie fajitas all the time and then got out of the habit. The bean dip: cannellini beans, garlic, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, cayenne pepper, and sea salt. Herb baguette: flour, rapadura, yeast, basil, oregano, thyme, garlic, sea salt, and water. Green Beans: green beans, garlic, Earth Balance buttery stick spread, soy sauce, water, and salt. Roasted Veggies: potatoes, carrots, onions, olive oil, sea salt, and pepper.

No comments: